Tuesday, January 27, 2009

TheCorey's Thought #16 - Thing #5: FINALLY!!

Well, today I finally got around to getting Thing #5: Instant Messaging under my 2.0 belt. Of course, here at the Lincoln City Libraries, we've been using Meebo for some time to do Reference by IM with varying degrees of success. This was my first time actually sending one (Thanks to Allana at NLC for her help). I see how it could be useful, though it can be a bit touch and go getting the software to cooperate. For some reason, iGoogle never did want to load up properly on the computer. Thankfully, my AOL account allowed me to use AIM with little to no trouble. I guess I keep hoping this 2.0 world will simplify itself so that all of these various bells and whistles will work with each other with less fuss. But, like many things I deal with professionally, it is a work in progress. I can see it possibly being something I might use regularly once the process becomes no harder or more involved than making a old-fashioned phone call. With email, phone, twitter, IM and who knows what else folks will use to talk at each other, we'll have to see what the next genration of young folks come up with. Who knows? Maybe retro will become the new cool and we'll be doing Reference by Smoke Signals or Reference by Semaphore.

No comments: