Tuesday, January 27, 2009

TheCorey's Thought # 17: Thing # 17 - Icky Wikis

My own participation in wikis has been few and far between. We use some staff wikis here at the Lincoln City Libraries, but I haven't gotten the point where I've done much editing or contributing so far. I know its proved useful for many people here at LCL and it's more a matter of me wrapping my head around exactly what a wiki is: a quick and dirty way to create a website or site within a website or something more (or less?) While my professional use of wikis is scattered, I will confess that Wikipedia itself is a resource I have found very useful for many popular culture inquiries both professional and personal. Being a Star Wars fan, I have found Wookipedia (the Star Wars wiki) to be very fun and useful. I think once I suss out a bit more what a wiki is and isn't, I'll find it sporadically useful. It took me forever to switch over from writing out essays long-hand and then typing them up on typewriter to just doing composition on a word processor. This may be in the same category.

No comments: